Sexual assault case against former CU Boulder exchange student dismissed
The sexual assault case against a former University of Colorado exchange student from Italy has been dismissed by prosecutors.
The Boulder County District Attorney's Office moved to dismiss one count of sexual assault against Giroloma Messeri, 20, in a motion, and Boulder District Judge Bruce Langer granted the dismissal on Tuesday.
The case previously had been set for trial in January, but prosecutors said they did not believe they could get a guilty verdict at trial. The case was dismissed without prejudice, which means they could refile the case if they chose to.
"After extensive investigation, thorough review of the case, and in consideration of the people's burden of proof, it is the people's position that there is no reasonable likelihood of conviction at trial," the prosection's motion read.
"Mr. Messeri is grateful that wisdom and justice prevailed in this extremely serious false claim against him," defense attorney Jason Savela said in a statement. "He has always maintained his innocence and cooperated with the investigation."
According to an arrest affidavit, a woman and her friend -- neither of whom were from Boulder or associated with CU -- were walking on University Hill on Sept. 9, 2016, when they met Messeri and his roommate. The four decided to go back to Messeri's dorm in Williams Village at 30th Street and Baseline Ropad, where she told police he sexually assaulted her.
"The complete truth did not get as much public attention as the portions that were released to the press over a year ago," Savela said in his statement. "The complaining witness was never scrutinized by the prosecution prior to Mr. Messeri's arrest, despite the most powerful evidence being in their files. Counsel's review suggests a motive to harm Mr. Messeri for a perceived slight, rather than a crime. Other things do not add up."